FINAL SCORE: #1 College of St. Joseph’s Vermont 14, University of Cincinnati Clermont 3
RECORDS: College of St. Joseph’s Vermont (52-11), University Cincinnati Clermont (25-22)
LOCATION: East Field Park in Glens Falls, New York
IN BRIEF: College of St Joseph’s Vermont claims their first ever Baseball National Championship with a 14-3 victory University of Cincinnati Clermont. After going down 3-1 in the third inning, St. Joe’s would score four in the bottom of the third and never look back, scoring nine additional runs and holding UC Clermont scoreless throughout the remainder of the game.
HOW THEY SCORED: In the bottom of the first with two outs, Jared Morello walked and stole second. Colin McCloud singled, driving in Morello for the first run of the ball game. Cincinnati Clermont would score their only three runs in the top of the third. Ryan Jesse led off the inning and was hit by a pitch. Jake Murray then tripled to right, scoring Jesse. With two outs Ben Seegers singled to left scoring Murray. Cody Riley who courtesy ran for Seegers, would score after Spencer Henn singled to left and the ball rolled underneath Kevin Rodriguez’s glove.
St. Joe’s took the lead back in the bottom of the third, scoring four runs on three hits with the assistance of three UC Clermont errors. Morello led off the inning reaching first on an error by the second basemen. Connor Martin doubled scoring Morello. McCloud then reached first on an error by the third basemen, scoring Tyler Demers who was the courtesy runner for Martin. Nector Velazquez then reached first on an error by the shortstop, scoring Teddy Mercado who was running for McCloud. After stealing second, Valesquez advanced to third on a Kevin Rodriguez single. Jordan Matos scored Valesquez on a fielder’s choice.
College of St. Joe’s added another run in the bottom of the fourth as Velazquez knocked in Morello on an errant play by the third basemen. Derek Edge scored his first run of the ball game after singling in the fifth, and scoring on another error on the UC Clermont infield. After singles by Demers and Chris Doyle in the sixth, Matos added a two run single.
College of St. Jose’s Vermont would add five insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth. Demers had his second single and first RBI of the game, knocking in Velazquez who singled and stole second. Justin Lemanski would single and Matos was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Derek tripled down the right field line to clear the bases. N. Rodriguez then hit a sacrifice fly to centerfield to score Edge.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE: UC Clermont gave up seven errors in the ball game, allowing only seven earned runs from College of St. Joe’s 14 total. For UC Clermont offensively, Ben Seegers was 3-4 with an RBI in his final career game.
For College of St Jose’s Vermont, pitcher Derek Osborne went the distance pitching nine complete innings and allowing two earned runs on eight hits. Senior Tyler Demers was 2-2 at the plate, scored three runs, and had one RBI. Derek Edge was 3-5 with two runs and three RBIs.
- For the series, CSJV allowed only three earned runs, with only four pitchers seeing the mound the entire tournament. The Saints were one inning away from four complete games. The only relief needed was USCAA Player of the Year Alan Madsen who closed the 2-1 contest against Robert Morris Peoria after throwing a complete game on day one.
- USCAA First team All-American Tyler Kunzmann was expected to pitch in the title game, but was not able to do so due to an injury against Rochester College. He still finished the World Series batting .625 with 6 RBI.
- Opponents of CSJV batted a mere .184 in four games against the Saints.
USCAA All-Tournament Team
- Alan Madsen Pitcher College of St Joseph’s Vermont
- Chad Cook Third base Rochester College
- Ryan Swusher Catcher Robert Morris University Peoria
- Tyler Kunzmann INF College of St. Joseph’s Vermont
- Anthony Bell OF University of Cincinnati Clermont
- Jesse Rometty Pitcher Rochester College
- Ethan Westart Shortstop Robert Morris University – Peoria
- Spencer Henn INF University of Cincinnati Clermont
- Bill Brancatella Pitcher College of St. Joseph’s Vermont
- Nick King OF/P University of Cincinnati Clermont
- Connor Martin LF College of St. Joseph’s Vermont
USCAA Tournament MVP
- Nick Rodriquez Shortstop College of St. Joseph’s Vermont